Springtime is officially here, and although we’re still experiencing cooler-than-usual temperatures here in Orange County, you might have used your air conditioner already for those couple of warm days we had last week. Soon enough, you’ll be using it on a daily basis, and when that happens you’ll want it to perform to the best of its ability. The last thing you need, after all, is a sudden breakdown right when temperatures hit their peak.
The good news is, the signs that you need air conditioning repair in Anaheim, CA are usually pretty apparent. We don’t, however, recommend that you try to formally diagnose or repair a malfunctioning air conditioner yourself, as this can be potentially dangerous and your air conditioner could end up with more harm being done to it than good. But you can definitely still spot the signs that you need air conditioning repair, and take the appropriate measures to call in the pros.
Common Signs You Need Air Conditioning Repair
- Loss of Airflow: Air that isn’t moving through the vents with the speed you expect can be a big problem. This often means that cold air is trapped within your system, causing the coils to freeze and causing other issues as well. Even if this doesn’t happen, the reduced airflow means that the system will work harder than it should have to in order to cool your home, increasing strain on the system and causing a spike in your energy bills.
- Reduced Cooling Power: The culprit of this problem could be low refrigerant, overheating components, breaches in the ducts, or even a refrigerant leak like we mentioned above. You can detect this problem simply by noticing if the air coming from your vents is warmer than you’d expect. This is a problem for the same reason that low airflow is a problem—forcing your air conditioner to work harder to do its job.
- Short-Cycling: Short-cycling is the process in which an air conditioner turns on and off numerous times throughout the day without running very long in the interim. AC systems use more energy turning on and turning off than they do simply running, which is why you want yours to run in cycles of 15 minutes. Otherwise, it’s a sign that something is definitely amiss.
- Strange Noises: A strange sound can mean anything. Are you hearing humming, maybe moaning? Perhaps buzzing or clanging is what you hear. Anything that doesn’t match the normal sounds of your system makes when it runs should be cause for at least moderate alarm. These types of noises usually start and stop in time with the starting and stopping of the air conditioner.
- Higher Bills: Sometimes, a problem with your air conditioner won’t show any overt signs, however, it can be translated into excess energy being consumed. In these cases, you’ll likely notice the problem by spotting an unexpected increase in your monthly energy bills, particularly if you haven’t run your air conditioner any more often than normal.
At Smart Choice Heating and Air, we are “Dedicated to Great Service, Clean Air & Happy Homes.” Contact us today!