Watch for the Warning Signs of Hard Water
Hard water has a higher level of mineral content in it than normal: magnesium, calcium, and gypsum. People are often unaware of indications of hard water in their plumbing and let the problem continue until it becomes serious. Here are a few warning signs your home may need a water softener system:
- Residue on surfaces: Hard water leaves behind a filmy residue across surfaces. It is especially noticeable on glass and porcelain.
- Build-up on fixtures: When you see a whitish-yellow buildup on faucets and other fixtures, it’s likely hard water calcite deposits.
- High water pressure: The calcite deposits inside pipes will increase water pressure.
- Trouble with soap lather: Hard water minerals make it more difficult to work up a good soap lather.
- Faded clothing and other fabrics: If your clothes and other fabrics that have gone through the wash are losing their color, it may be due to hard water minerals.
Why Hard Water Is a Major Problem
If hard water isn’t unhealthy to drink, why is it something you want removed from the plumbing system? There are several reasons, but the biggest is that hard water can do damage to the plumbing. Calcite deposits build up on the interior of pipes, reducing their volume until water pressure spikes too high and clogs become common. The same scale will start to develop inside the boiler of the water heater, and this can completely ruin the system and require a replacement. The deposits will also damage other appliances connected to the plumbing system.
Hard water makes cleaning and bathing more difficult. The residue left behind by hard water minerals makes skin dry and itchy, and it harms fabrics. The film left on surfaces makes a house look generally unpleasant, and it isn’t easy to cook with hard water either.
We’ll Soften Your Home’s Water in Anaheim, CA
A whole-house water softener eliminates hard water problems by introducing sodium ions into the water. This counteracts the hard water ions and "softens" the water. However, you must allow a professional to handle the water softener installation, as well as other services for it, or else you’ll end up with excess amounts of sodium in the water supply.
Arrange for a consultation with Smart Choice Heating and Air in Anaheim, CA, and we’ll make sure you have the best water softener for your needs. We have water treatment specialists with the finest training and equipment available.